October 10, 2008

New! Improved! Aurora Walking Vacation

Welcome to the New! and Improved! Aurora Walking Vacation. What's New! and Improved! about it, you ask? Well, its location, here on Blogger, is new. It used to be an AOL Journal, but AOL decided to no longer support blogging, and they chose to - get this corporate-speak - "sunset" their blogging platform. So, here I am.
This blog was actually created in May of 2006 (so, I guess it's not really all that new), when I thought I might try out an alternate blogging platform; one that might offer more features, and more customization tools. In the end, I didn't feel like doing the work required to suss the ins and outs of a new system, and stayed where I was.
That is no longer an option.

As for the improved part, well...uh...we'll just have to wait and see.

The original Aurora Walking Vacation - which will cease to exist on November 1, 2008 - has been imported to Blogger, and will remain as an archive from which I may, from time to time, pull old entries to feature here. If you are interested, it can be found at http://awvarchive.blogspot.com/


17 comments:

Daniel Poehlman said...

I'm your first follower, Paul. I'm your Number One Fan.

Dawn said...

Damn that Dastardly Dan! He beat me here!! I guess I will settle for #2. lol

be well...

Simon said...

Paul, I would like to take this opportunity to take a quote from an old friend of mine: Obi-Wan Kenobi.

"You have taken your first step into a larger world."

I think you'll like it outside of AOL. It's nicer out here.

Sandisan said...

Well, the neighborhood seems delightful...as long as most of our friends follow it will be good. At least AOl did what they promised...look forward to reading you...be well, Sandi

Ken Riches said...

Glad you are up and running here, and that your archive went off smoothly :o)

Barry Leiba said...

Welcome here, Paul. Much nicer than AOL.

I'm curious, though, about why you didn't migrate the archive here, rather than creating a separate one.

Call me Paul said...

Barry,

The migration only moved the entries, as they were, over to the new home. However, on November 1st, when AOL deletes its personal ftp space, that archive is going to be 795 pages of broken links and little red Xs. It's not going to be very functional without a shitload of work I really wasn't prepared to do.

émilie b said...

AT LONG LAST, a blog where we don't have to be AOL members to comment. (Or maybe it was not necessary, but I never figured out how.)

Glad AWV is more accessible now. It needn't be so sober looking though. If you like the grey, that's fine, but where the aurora hues, the vacation brightness?
You're such a guy. ;)

Call me Paul said...

Emilie,

I just picked one of blogger's basic templates to start so I could get going. I haven't really had time to experiment with customizing it yet. I simply tried to tweak one of the preset templates a bit to approximate the look of the old AWV. As time goes on, I'll play a bit, but it'll be a slow process, as I just don't have the blogging time I used to.

Leigh/BlueDragonfly said...

Your following is growing...
This world is definitely larger, our neighborhood-not so insular anymore. That's a good thing.
:) Leigh

Anonymous said...

AWV's new RSS feed? Check.

Cathy said...

I'd follow you anywhere.
http://cathy-daretothink.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Wait. You mean I can post here without soiling my hands in that AOL POS??

So let it be written, so let it be done.

natalie said...

hiya Paulo!:)
I found you!
I really like that picture the most
and that funny one liner about getting to like Canadians!
Big Congrats !
hugs,nat

Anonymous said...

I'm liking the new digs!

xoxo,

ShellyS said...

Welcome to Blogger, even if you've been here for a while, sorta, kinda. It's a good place to be, with lots of cool features.

Donna. W said...

I much prefer Blogger to AOL.